Tuesday 5 June 2007

Starting your day the right way.

We all know the benefits of waking up with the sun. I do it on a regular basis and my days are more productive and less stressed. Leo from Zen Habits has a great article on waking early that I won't even try to compete with. What I want to talk about is what to do after you wake up early. It's a step that many people ignore. Breakfast

We all know the benefits of a good breakfast. I don't need tot tell you that when we forgo breakfast our bodies are running on fumes until we eat lunch. If you're anything like I am, I hate breakfast, I'm just not hungry and the thought of food at that time isn't very appetizing. Within the last couple of weeks I have come up with the perfect mix of grains and cereals that don't disgust me and leave me full until lunch time. And of course, in keeping with the theme of this blog, it costs far less than your average boxed cereal.

KR's Super Breakfast Mix
You will need:

  • Store brand corn flakes
  • Store brand bran flakes
  • Store brand (or cheapest) wheat germ
  • Store brand oatmeal
  • Store brand raisins (about 250 grams)
  • Agave Nectar
  • Sunflower Seeds
  • Linseed's
That should all total up to around $5-6 (much cheaper and nutritious than a store brand box of cereal by it's self). Plus this should last you close to 2 months.

When you have all your ingredients go home and empty them all(excluding the agave nectar) into a large airtight glass jar and mix it up.

When serving, chop up some strawberries, bananas or any fruit you have lying around add them to your bowl with a little agave nectar and serve with milk.

Let me know if you have any other super breakfast suggestions, I would love to hear them.

Up next: Beating the mid-day slump with a superfood packed cheap lunch!

0 comments: